Friday, September 23, 2011

Favorite Fridays....Mystery Pottery (The Tutorial)

I couldn't help myself last night....I just had to get that icky gold paint off the Hull vase.

So, as promised below is a tutorial of sorts on the process. Enjoy!

Supplies
I used a old toothbrush, some paper towels and covered my table with a plastic garbage bag. The stripper that was used was Klean-Strip Strip-X Stripper. I am not sure about other brands, so I would suggest proceeding with caution if you try another.

Test area
I did a small test area where I applied a little bit of the stripper to see if the paint and glaze would be removed. I doubted that it would touch the glaze, but you never know. This piece was painted very thinly with spray paint, so the paint kinda floated off.

It's a pastel!

You are better off working from the top-down. That way you can keep your paint moving downward, and it's just easier wiping it off in that motion. I like to do one small section at a time. I dip my brush in the stripper and coat the area, let it sit for about 10 seconds and then wipe it off with the paper towel. And repeat.

Looking pretty!
It's a bit of a tedious process, but I turned on the Ellen show and was amazed to be done (including cleaning up) by the time the show was over. The actual removal will vary with the type of paint being removed. If there is more layers of paint it will take several hours of work.

One side nearly done
And I was super-surprised that the label remained intact! It did remove most of the color from it, but I was gentle and it seemed to be fine.

All done!


I decided to move all of my Hull beauties out of the bathroom and into the living room. The old shelf was getting a bit crowded. I think they look nice all together. Now....let's find another one to do!

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!!! I love these, and believe it or not, I've never heard of them! I'm going to look in ebay and see if I can get one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Merry

    Thanks! I have found maybe three painted pottery pieces so far. I don't actively look, but I think they are around every so often. It was fun to do, and I hope to do it again....

    ReplyDelete