Friday, September 9, 2011

Favorite Friday...Mystery Pottery

I love mystery pottery. The kind that has been painted over with paint by that silly person who has no idea what they are covering....

Gold covered Hull vase...Yay!
I found that gold stunner at the thrift store this week. While most vintage-lovers who know what Hull is would be mortified by the travesty of the gold paint, I see a diamond in the rough. I LOVE THESE PAINTED GEMS! Did you know that the spray paint is easily removed with a little (who am I kidding... a lot) of elbow grease?!

This Roseville console bowl was covered in gold a few years back! Good as new now!
The Roseville console bowl, above, was smothered in gold spray paint when I bought it. It took a few days of work, but it came out so beautiful. I use regular paint stripper, a tooth brush and some paper towels to remove the spray paint. The paint stripper seems to have no effect on the pottery's glaze. Maybe because it is fired on?

Too bad they sprayed over the original sticker....I don't think it will survive the process.

The gold-goddess-Hull Vase will be worked on very soon. I am thinking it will be a good project to keep me occupied for a few days when Mr. V is gone. When completed, it will take a place of honor along with the other Hull & Roseville beauties in the bathroom. I can't wait to see the colors!! You never know what will be under that gold....with Roseville, they produced the brown tones on their pieces at the same time they were producing the pastels. When I did the console bowl I was praying it was a pastel. I am not too fond of the browns...



 I might have to rearrange to fit it in....

I will definitely post a before and after..maybe a tutorial how-to? Anyone interested? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment