I will admit, I am becoming a bit obsessed with orchids. You see them all the time in the store, in the backgrounds of those reality shows, in magazines and in catalogs. It seems like they are everywhere but the normal household. Maybe I am wrong, but I always considered them the plant for experienced plant owners. I have come to realize they are easier to take care of then I thought.
A couple of months ago my generous friend, Laurie, gifted me two orchids from her garden. One didn't make it, but the other is flourishing. Here she is:
| Girl in the bathroom |
When she came to our house she was only a couple of tiny buds and some huge green leaves. We had no idea what color she would be. For WEEKS we watched the buds grow bigger and bigger until one finally opened! It took a whole day for the bud to fully open to see the colors and shape! It was so neat to see the process. Do you know a healthy orchid can be in bud for several months at a time?! Quite incredible. This girl opens a new bud about once daily. She has been blooming for two weeks and new buds are still growing. None have fallen off yet. Good sign!
She usually sits in the office, but I moved her to a more friendly photo space. She has been blooming for over two months now and also has not lost a flower.
I think I will stick with these girls for now. When I can get them to bloom again next year I will consider myself experienced enough to own some more!
your orchids look beautiful. i bought one a few months back and did not fare so well. i think i over watered and it died quick. last week i put it outside hoping for a miracle that maybe it would comeback but so far it has just shriveled. what is your secret? magic fairy dust?
ReplyDelete@peanutboat
ReplyDeleteI only water maybe once a week. Both windows are shaded with large slatted blinds. In Florida the serious orchid fanciers build what they call "shadehouses". Also, a lot of people keep them on their lanais.
It depends on the type you bought. The ones I have are phals, and they prefer more shade. You have a perfect climate for them. I would try again with a new plant! And when you get it send me a picture and I will tell you how to care for it.